Saturday, November 28, 2009

Q-Zap!

So I stumbled upon (pun intended, as I regularly use the web app StumbleUpon) a really cool zine website called Queer Zine Archive Project.

You can figure out the premise pretty much from the title, but it's a group of people that work to archive queer zines so other people can read them. It's been going on since 2003. I only looked at it for a short time but here's my favorite zine so far:

Borderlands
Borderlands 2: It's a Family Affair

They're zines about multi-racial queer people. Mostly it's them telling their stories, which I think is rad. It also has some cool stuff about how their queerness affects their race and how their race affects their queerness. I recommend them and I recommend checking out the other zines on this site!

I will say though, that I've been pretty disappointed with most of the gender zines I've looked at. A few of them were very strange (for me, they could be exactly what some one else needs). There was one done out of the University of Minnesota that included an article about reclaiming speculums? I dunno about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment